Mahdi Imani Assistant Professor Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Khoury College of Computer Sciences (by courtesy) Northeastern University Profile: Google Scholar Email: m.imani [AT] northeastern.edu
Short BioMahdi Imani is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Northeastern University. He received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Texas A&M University in 2019 and his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering from University of Tehran respectively. His research interests include machine learning, Bayesian statistics, and decision/learning theory, with a wide range of applications from computational biology to cyber-physical systems. He is the recipient of the NIH NIBIB Trailblazer award in 2022, the Oracle Research Award in 2022, NSF CISE Career Research Initiation Initiative award in 2020, the Association of Former Students Distinguished Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Research-Doctoral in 2019, and the best paper finalist award from the 49th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, 2015. He is a senior IEEE member and currently serving as the associated editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems and IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
I am always looking for self-motivated Ph.D. students to join my group. The areas of interest include machine learning, control theory, reinforcement learning, and signal processing. All candidates are expected to have excellent programming skills. Prospective students may have background in electrical and computer engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or statistics. If you are interested, please email me a copy of your CV and transcripts at m.imani [AT] northeastern.edu. Please use “Ph.D. Application” as the subject of your email.
- Our paper titled “Optimal Recursive Expert-Enabled Inference in Regulatory Networks” got accepted in the IEEE Control Systems Letters [Dec 2022].
- Our paper titled “Inference of Regulatory Networks Through Temporally Sparse Data” got accepted in the Frontiers Control Engineering [Dec 2022].
- I gave an invited talk on AI/ML applications in healthcare at Oracle’s Health and AI Services [August 2022].
- We received a three-year National Institute of Health (NIH) NIBIB Trailblazer award [June 2022].
- I have joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Neural Network Learning Systems [Jan 2022].
- I have joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology [Sep 2021].
- I joined as an Assistant Professor to the ECE department at Northeastern University in Fall 2021 [Aug 20121].
- We received a four-year Army Research Office award [July 2021].
- I elevated to the grade of IEEE Senior member [February 2021].
- I organized a half-day workshop titled “Scalable, Reliable and Online Bayesian Learning” in IEEE 16th International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE) [August 2020].
- I organized a half-day workshop titled “Machine Learning for Scalable, Reliable and Online Design and Decision Making” in IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA) [August 2020].
- We received a two-year National Science Foundation (NSF) award [July 2020].
- We received a one year award ($19,710) through GW Office of Vice-President for Research’s University Facilitating Fund (UFF) program [April 2020].
- I visited and gave a talk on “Scalable and Reliable Experimental Design: A Bayesian Perspective” at National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, MD [January 2020].
- I gave a talk on “Bayesian Learning and Decision Making in Business” at Wells Fargo in McLean, Virginia [January 2020].
- I gave a talk on “Practical Bayesian Learning and Decision Making: Scalability, Explainability and Reliability” at Boeing company [January 2020].
- I visited the National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) at U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and gave a talk on “Scalable Bayesian Learning and Modeling in Genomics and Metagenomics” in Jefferson County, Arkansas [January 2020].
Honors and Awards
- NIH NIBIB Trailblazer award, 2022
- Elevated to the grade of IEEE Senior member, February 2021.
- NSF CISE Career Research Initiation Initiative award, 2020
- IBM Research Almaden Distinguished Speaker, San Jose, CA, November 2019.
- Recipient of the Association of Former Students Distinguished Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Research-Doctoral, Texas A&M University, 2019.
- Finalist nominee for the Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Texas A&M University, 2018.
- Recipient of the Best PhD Student Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2015.
- Recipient of the Best Paper Finalist Award, the 49th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, 2015.